MagCAD Specialized Tarmac SL6 Headset Update Kit
- 1x headset cap (top bearing cover).
- 2x 5mm headset spacers.
- 1x 10mm headset spacer.
- 1x 5mm "top" spacer.
The Specialized Tarmac SL7 Stem and Closed Stem Cover (Specialized Kit S202500009) are pictured for reference only and not included.
This MagCAD headset kit replaces the headset cap and spacers on the Specialized Tarmac SL6 road bike and allows you to fit the latest Tarmac SL7 stem. The update improves the aesthetics and integration between cockpit and frame and allows you to then attach cycle computers and accessories directly to the stem faceplate.
The remodelled headset cap and spacers link the integrated design of the latest Tarmac SL7 stem to the more rounded shape of the older Tarmac SL6. The Tarmac SL6 has external cables; therefore this headset kit does not have any provision for internal cable routing.
Enough spacers are included in this kit for a 25mm stack height above the headset top cap. Additional 10mm and 5mm spacers can be purchased separately. Please check the maximum recommended stack height for your bike.
Please note the Open/Closed Stem Cover is not supplied. This is typically supplied in the Specialized Tarmac SL7 Stem Cover, Spacer & Transition Kit (S202500009).
The individual parts of the MagCAD headset kit are 3D printed in a durable Nylon to ensure they are robust to many years of use. As with any steering related components they should be installed by a competent mechanic and inspected regularly. Incorrect assembly or mis-use may result in damage to the headset components.
- Remove your existing stem and bearing top cover from your fork steerer.
- Leave the split compression ring fitted.
- Install the 3D printed bearing top cover onto your fork steerer and push all the way down onto the split compression ring.
- Note: We see some variation in the compression rings supplied by Specialized over the model years. Attention should be paid to ensure the 3D printed bearing cover fits closely to the top of the frame (0-1mm gap) without contacting the frame. If the gap is too small you should install 1-1/8" headset shims, not supplied) until there is no contact.
- Install the necessary number of 3D printed spacers, ensuring the locating pins point upwards and lock together correctly.
- The kit is supplied with a 5mm "top" spacer that must be installed at the top of the headset stack. It is designed to match the shape of the stem and allow the Tarmac SL7 stem cover (not supplied) to lock in place.
- Depending on your bike setup you may not need all of the headset spacers. The kit is supplied with enough spacers for a 25mm gap between headset cap and stem.
- Torque settings and bearing preload remains the same as specified by Specialized. Please follow the manufacturer's procedure for adjusting and tightening the headset assembly.
- Install the Specialized Open/Closed Stem Cover by locating the tap into the 3D printed top spacer.
- Periodically check the headset installation remains secure and adjusted correctly with no bearing play and free turning handlebars.
- Specialized Tarmac SL6 road bike.
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 stem.
- Weight: 26 grams (without hardware).